Thursday, September 13, 2012

Soft Scrambled Eggs with Smoky Seasonings and Chives

I think I am going to go ahead and classify my relationship to eggs as "complicated."  On the one hand, I adore almost everything about them - how they get all wonderfully creamy when hard boiled...so runny when fried, so very big when the whites are whipped...you get the picture.  

But on the other hand, egg is such a weird word to say.  And to look at.  It is only three letters and two of them are the letter g?  How did that end up qualifying as a word?  

Then there is the slightly bigger issue.  I am perhaps a bit touchy about the word because it was my sister's and then consequently my best friend's (waves at Jess!) nickname for me.  According to my sister, my shoulder looks like an egg... and therefore I am to be called egg.  Strange child she was.  Regardless, we love her.  You should see the the egg stuff I have been given through the years by these two - a pot scraper shaped like an egg, a whisk with an egg for a handle, a sparkly purple egg, a really weird puzzle egg.  Photos of eggs posted to my Facebook wall.  Fried-egg gummies.  To this day, I continue to feel anxious around the e-word.  

Yet life must go on, and I  just can't let my issues interfere with using this most delicious foodstuff.  Now that is a fun word - just cramming an unnecessary word right next to another one!  Another fun word is hullabaloo - I've yet to be in a situation that required use of that word, but one day, just you wait, I will gleefully whip that baby out. And it will be a joyous occassion.     

After reading about this soft scrambled technique in Bon Appetit, I was smitten. 

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 eggs
scant 1/4 teaspoon smoked sea salt
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon ancho chile powder
2 tablespoons chopped chives

Instructions 
This makes enough for 2 servings.  In a medium saucepan over low heat, whisk the olive oil, salt, paprika, garlic powder, ancho chile powder, and eggs together continuously for about 4 minutes, until small curds have formed and it is no longer soupy.  You don't want it runny, but you also don't want it dry.  Top each serving with a tablespoon of chopped chives.

16 comments:

  1. Eggs are strange little things, but they make stuff like this that looks spectacular, so I'm willing to overlook their quirks. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love soft scrambled eggs, and with these mix-ins, even better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loveeee eggs, in any way shape or form. Smoky seasoning sounds super delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha love your analysis of the word 'egg'
    But your recipe even more!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok I'm totally gonna try these....this is gonna sound pathetic but I have not yet managed to make scrambled eggs without screwing them up! I don't even deserve to have a food blog haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. p.s. I also have words that I like to use and deem as "favorite words". My hubby thinks I'm crazy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love scrambled eggs and this smoky version sounds fantastic. You're the first person I've heard of with the nickname "Egg." Aren't sisters wonderful???

    ReplyDelete
  8. Egg is a weird word. Especially in my Jersey accent.

    But I'll take some of this scrambled e-word, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like scrambled eggs every way and your smoky version sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great breakfast to wake up to!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't had brunch yet this morning, and now I'm starving. Maybe you can invent a different word for this most versatile and amazing food!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got to try this smokey version. In Japan, it's common to put soy sauce + sugar + mirin... (to go with Japanese breakfast but if Western, it's same as American style) So interesting each country has different way to make scrambles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lol, how does one have a shoulder that looks like an egg? I'm not a huge scrambled fan (over medium is my fav), but if I do eat scrambled I prefer them soft scrambled like you have here :) It looks perfect for the morning, especially with the smoky chile accent.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...