Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Apple Pomegranate Fruit Bars with Rose and Ginger


I love that I am 28 years old, with a child of my own, and I can go to my gram's and still be treated like one of the grandkids.  When we were visiting friends and family back East last month, Max and I ended up with extra time to spend at her place, and it was AWESOME!  She fed us amazing baked goods. She gave us books to read to keep us busy (picture books for Max and Christmas-y cook and craft books for me).  I even had my friend Vicki come over and my gram made us all a homemade spaghetti dinner.  With both coconut pie and shortbread bar cookies with an apricot filling for dessert!  Yay for two desserts!  It probably sounds like she was babysitting both me and Max.  And that is probably a true statement.  I even needed her medical help with this weird thing that had popped up on my arm.  I apparently was the recipient of a spider bite.  I have no clue how that happened.  But my gram took care of it.

So after we got back, I missed my gram!  How could someone not miss gram?  And then I remembered that she gave me the recipe for her shortbread bar cookies with the apricot jam!  I didn't have any jam around, but I had gone to the farmer's market recently.  I combined her cookies with ingredients I had on hand, and it made me feel like she was right next door for a moment.

Ingredients
3 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
4 apples, chopped (I used Granny Smith and Pink Lady)
pomegranate seeds from 1 pomegranate
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon ground dried rose leaves, plus more for sprinkling on top
2 teaspoons ground ginger

Instructions
Heat oven to 350.  Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar.  In a bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, and salt.  Then slowly mix the flour mixture into the butter mixture. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, toss the chopped apples, pomegranate seeds, sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch, rose and ginger.

Press 2/3 of the reserved flour mixture into a greased 9 x 13 baking pan.  Pour apple mixture over it.  Then sprinkle remaining flour mixture.  Dust a bit of sugar and ground rose on top.  Bake for about 35 minutes, until golden brown and the apples have cooked.  Remove and set aside until cool.  Cut into squares for serving.

20 comments:

  1. I'm so into anything that involves pomegranate! (It's healthy, ergo okay to eat no matter what the form. Right?) :D

    Grandparents are pretty awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are gorgeous! Looks so delicious. I love going to my grandparents to be babysat, it's always wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I live out east. Do you think your gram would adopt me? Because I want those shortbread bars, and I want someone to mother me as I eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pomegranate seems to be the "trendy" food now. These bars look delicious with lots of fruity and flowery flavours :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww that's so sweet! My grandmas are lame (1 likes to go to the Bahamas and go out drinking with the girls, the other is super racist and very ignorant. Neither is the adorable sweet grandmotherly type)-you are very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What delicious and pretty looking fruit bars!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Apple bars would be my choice for a fruit bar, too and the addition of pomegranate sounds wonderful! You're so lucky to still have your gram!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How lovely that you still get treated like one of the grandchildren! These bars sound fantastic, especially with the rose.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grams are the best! Doesn't matter how old you are, you are still the grandchild. (Take it from me - I am 49 and she still says, "Stacy Monica!" when I'm in trouble. :) )

    Those fruit bars look scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gotta love grandmas! They are the best.

    Also, I've been looking for a good pomegranate-infused dessert and this is SO it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a n incredible dessert my friend, it has it all :)

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is one delightful bar! Rose leaves, oh my!
    Glad that you had a good time at your granny's! Have a great weekend!



    ReplyDelete
  13. The name of the recipe really made me curious! I love pomegranate, and there are rose leaves and ginger? I'm so curious to taste these bars! Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's so sweet of you gram! Mine is an expert at kraft mac and cheese and buying us doughnuts :) And I love her for that! She's the best. Your bars sound delish! I'm a little intimated by the pomegranate though... I'm horrible at getting out the seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  15. YUM! and yay for pink ladies, they're so of my favorite apples.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh it must be so nice to be able to visit your grandmother. Loving the twist with the pomegranate and rose accent.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You gotta love grandma! These look so good. Like, ridiculous good. Mmmm!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...