Thursday, November 15, 2012

Stuffing Pasta


Apparently, I've been born without the genes that makes one enjoy stuffing.  Or dressing, as the case may be.  I don't know why that happened in life.  But I just can't seem to like it.  No matter what wonderful things go into it.  Not even my gram's famous stuffing.  None of it.  But stuffing (or dressing) has been deemed a necessary component of the Thanksgiving feast.  And I can't bring myself to make it any more, to once again be disappointed that my genetic makeup prevents me from savoring each bite of this dish.  To once again, get my hopes up, to think that this one stuffing is the one I will like... then have those hopes dashed.  So instead of stuffing, I like doing a pasta dish that I like to think captures a bit of the essence of stuffing.  But not in stuffing form.  In pasta.  So here is a simple dish with brown butter, pancetta, fresh herbs, hazelnuts, and parmesan cheese.  Never disappoints.

Ingredients
2/3 pound farfalle pasta
4 ounces cubed pancetta
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup torn sage leaves
1 tablespoon fresh thyme and/or rosemary leaves
pinch nutmeg
white pepper, to taste
kosher salt, to taste
1/3 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
juice from 1/2 a lemon
2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese

Instructions
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook pasta according to package directions.  Meanwhile,
heat olive oil over medium high heat in skillet and add the pancetta.  Cook until the pancetta has a nice golden brown color (about 5 minutes).  Take off heat and set aside.

In large sauté pan, melt butter over medium-low heat.  Add sage, thyme, and rosemary and let the butter brown, about two minutes.  You will see brown specks that have formed on the bottom of the pan.  Be careful to not burn the butter.  Add pepper, salt and nutmeg, as well as the reserved pancetta.  Sprinkle chopped and toasted hazelnuts.  Take off heat and add lemon juice.  Add pasta to the brown butter mixture and toss with cheese.  Adjust seasonings to taste.

21 comments:

  1. Simple but delicious. Right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best part about this - you can enjoy it any time of year! Great flavors in the pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like stuffing or dressing either... great option! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you when it comes to stuffing. I'd gladly take this pasta over "dressing" any day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That pasta looks totally yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so delicious. The best part of stuffing mixed with pasta? Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely flavors in this pasta dish!!Love the idea of serving this during Thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely flavors in this pasta dish!!Love the idea of serving this during Thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy cow! I’ll have to try it. They look delish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Surely scientists have gene replacement therapy for this? ;) what a great alternative, I'm so glad you added sage, that's my fav part!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm I have to try this and devour it :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  12. Who knew pasta could be so delicious despite being so healthy?
    You never disappoint me with you fantastic recipes!
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a perfect alternative to stuffing, I love the idea and the chopped hazel nuts are cool. Is it the actual taste of the stuffing you don't like or the texture? I am not all that fond of it either, I like your pasta idea better. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this dish. It will never replace my grandmother's stuffing but it sounds terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there. The current Food on Friday is all about pasta and noodles! There is already a great collection of dishes but it would be great if you linked this in. This is the link . Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for linking in. Have a good one

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sure this is delicious but my family and guests would leave me if I didn't give them stuffing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd take your pasta stuffing over regular stuffing any day! LOVE all of the fall flavors in this.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hate stuffing too! But I LOVE the idea of this pasta, omg it looks sooooooooooo good. And there's brown butter so...obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love stuffing, but I would LOVE this too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...