Thursday, November 29, 2012

Whole Wheat Ricotta Waffles with Blueberry Sauce



Most little ones seem to have favorite toys or favorite stuffed animals.  And favorite colors.  But not our little guy Max.  He is rather fickle, dispensing his affection on whatever catches his fancy at the moment.  Or maybe he just kinda likes his toys, stuffed animals and colors equally.  But he does have a favorite letter.  Okay, 2 letters.  He loves both B and O.  And b is just so super awesome because it's also his word for berries.  And it doesn't hurt that b is the first letter of his very favorite thing in the entire world - buses.  Now, he loves all berries, but you never know what berry he will actually want to eat that day.  You see some raspberries on sale and pick up a few cartons, thinking, ohh Max will like this.  No, no, he will not.  He will want blackberries, not the raspberries sitting in the fridge.  But sometimes, sometimes, the stars align all beautifully straight in a row and the kiddie gods smile beatifically upon you and somehow you get the right berry (or B, as it is known) to make him happy.  And since it was his birthday the other day, I made him some waffles with B's.  And it must have been the right B, because he was shoveling the sauce into his mouth.  So thank you gods of toddler eating, we totally appreciate it.  And, I'd have to say these waffles are pretty great for full grown people as well.

Ingredients
Waffles:
2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup ricotta
1 cup buttermilk
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 eggs, separated

Blueberry Sauce:
1 pound blueberries
juice and zest of 1 lemon
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cinnamon stick
1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground clove (depending on how much you adore clove)

Instructions
Blueberry Sauce:  Place all ingredients in a medium pot over medium-low heat and gently boil, stirring often.  Let it cook together for about 5 minutes, and remove the cinnamon stick.  Let cool.

Waffles:  Beat the egg whites with a mixer until they hold soft peaks.  Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a medium bowl.  In a large bowl, whisk ricota, buttermilk, butter, vanilla extract, and egg yolks.  Stir in the flour mixture. Gently fold in the egg whites.   Pour batter into preheated waffle iron and cook until waffles are crisp and golden.  I like keeping the oven hot at 350 and giving the waffles an extra round of crisping for a few minutes.  Pour sauce on top of waffles and serve.

21 comments:

  1. Aww,bless him :) Your waffles sound really good with wholw wheat and those spices.The b sauce sounds delish! I'm going to try it for our Crepe topping!( my kids most desired breakfasts on Sundays!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the cutest, sweetest story! Awww so happy your lil guy loved his waffles and "B" sauce! These waffles look PRETTY darn delicious to me toooo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like it's time to break out the waffle iron!! Yummmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very Happy Belated Birthday to Max! What a scrumptious way to start off the special day. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. They'd definitely look like the right B for me too. :) These look so beautiful! I've never tried ricotta in waffles but I think I need to now...

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh you are taking me right back to summer time...Max I'm with you bud, berries are the best. PS. def read the ingredients in those waffles..a must try! now to buy a waffle maker... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those waffles and that luscious sauce! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG.. I love pancakes and waffles. Must try these, as I have not really experimented with whole wheat. Have a great weekend Jenn! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. These waffles look amazing! And I have a little boy at home (OK, he's actually 6'4"!) who loves, loves, loves berries! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! These waffles look delicious. I want some B on my waffles, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What I wouldn't give to have these as my brekkie :)

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how fickle little kids are...probably because I don't have any...but I find it so cute! I am SO in a breakfast-for-dinner kinda mood. These waffles look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am sitting here trying to just have coffee for breakfast and you are making it mighty difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love use ricotta in breakfast waffles and these look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like this waffle recipe because you have separated the eggs, which makes the waffles very fluffy. By the way I love the b's too. I'm debating if I should make some waffles now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. haha aw that story is adorable! And those waffles look pretty darn good. YUM! I've never put ricotta in a waffle batter, sounds awesome with the berry syrup

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a cute story! Those waffles look terrific. I would never have thought to add ricotta!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mmmm! These look awesome. I'm excited to try a waffle recipe using ricotta.
    Love the blueberry topping!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Heck I would have been shoveling this in :) Sounds fabulous - no wonder the toddler gods smiled.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These waffles look so scrumptious! And those blueberries...amazing. I could eat this every morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm drooling over that blueberry sauce and I love the ricotta in these waffles!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...