Sunday, January 6, 2013

Banana and Almond Smoothies


So it is January, that month on our calendar that feels so shiny and new and full of promise.  A month of fresh starts and new beginnings.  For us, one of these beginnings is becoming part of Cooking Light's Bloggers' Connection!  A couple times of month you will find us sharing recipes, information, etc. from Cooking Light.  Of course, we'll make sure to add our own twists and adaptations to give it that Home Skillet edge.

Another of these beginnings is a parent/toddler art class for Max and me.  I hated art classes passionately growing up.  I continue to have flashbacks of all the awful projects that I created.  I have zero ability to make my hands create what my mind sees.  So this should be an interesting experience.  And if you're think Max will be doing all the work, than you don't know Max.  He has... a way. 

So where was I going with that?  Well, smoothies are my favorite snack when I need something quick and substantial and yummy.  I saw these peanut butter, banana, and flax seed smoothies on Cooking Light and figured it would fit the bill!  I didn't have flax seeds, so I substituted some toasted almond slices and figured I would run with the whole combination of almond, vanilla, and banana flavors. I've been loving the taste and find myself craving it often.  This will be the breakfast that pumps me up to take on that parent/toddler art class, and maybe my art skills will begin to improve.  Okay, that's never going to happen, but maybe Max's will!  A delicious beginning to a new beginning.

Ingredients
1/2 cup vanilla almond milk
1/2 cup honey Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons toasted almond slices
2 tablespoons almond butter
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 banana
1/8 teaspoon roasted Saigon cinnamon

Instructions
Place everything in a bowl and blend together with an immersion blender.  Or place in a blender and blend - whatever is easiest for you!  Serve with cinnamon sticks if desired.


28 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! Can't wait to see what you cook up :) Great idea for a smoothie too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 of my sisters and my mom are true artists. I stink...and had the same feeling about art class! Love your lightened up smoothie...full of protein and little guilt! Perfect snack or breakfast. Let us know how the classes go :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delish! Could you just use plain ole grocery store cinnamon? ;) HAPPY New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, of course! happy new year to you too Tiffany!

      Delete
  4. Oooh yes I love Cooking Light!!! This smoothie definitely looks like it would hit the spot :D Yay for bananas and almonds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could do with a glass of that lovely smoothie!
    All the best in the art class! I suck at art! Always have been and always will! :)
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'd crave these, too. Sounds like a great way to kick off the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I've taken to just throwing whatever ingredients I have onhand to make a smoothie, and they're not turning out that great. Time for some direction!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is definitely one good looking brekkie treat :)

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks tasty - Peter @Feed Your Soul

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm like you when it comes to art, although my oldest daughter is a wonderful visual artist. She must have got it from her dad.

    And your smoothies look just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This smoothie looks like the perfect way to start a healthy day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How fun! I'm a Cooking Light blogger also and love it. :) It at least forces me to make a few crazy healthy (delicious) meals every month which is always a good thing! These smoothies look delicious. The perfect pre-run snack methinks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember my art classes from college a million years ago. My instructor was always high on something and would give us things a 3rd grade teacher would give and we'd have 3 hours to play. I never created anything worthwhile. I might have had more fun with a smoothie like this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hated art lessons too! I love this as a way to start the day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on being a Cooking Light Blogger and great tasty looking smoothie as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I will borrow this recipe on day.. I started loving smoothies :) and since I like almonds this would be great for me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds delicious! Great way to change up breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You got me with the Banana and Almond Smoothie! OMG! I'm imagining how good of a combination banana and almonds would be along with some cinnamon! YUM! How much calories does it have? I usually have frozen fruits for my smoothie so that I don't have to add water anymore. With a very hectic schedule like mine, I normally prepare my smoothie the night before or wake up 30 mins. earlier than the usual so that I have enough time to prep and clean things up. This is a very quick and easy breakfast on-the-go!

    Joseph Carr

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This smoothie looks delicious, a real treat! I have been working on raw food alternatives - a raw almond and banana milk. You can check it out here:
    http://www.indigomemoirs.com/2013/05/01/raw-almond-and-banana-milk/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...